JFCS of the Suncoast Collecting Socks for Homeless Veterans and At-Risk Youth
No one should have to go without a clean, dry pair of socks each day but homeless people usually don’t have a choice.
JFCS of the Suncoast is kicking off Sock It To Us, a donation drive seeking socks for struggling veterans, as well as other homeless people and at-risk youth.
The collection period runs Sept. 19 through Oct. 14. The socks will be distributed in November in honor of Veterans Day and will go to JFCS’ Veterans Services Family Services clients, clients, and others in need.
Homeless people often spend their days on the move and usually are not able to wash their socks. Unlike other articles of clothing that can be worn many days in a row, socks quickly become dirty and tattered, which can lead to discomfort, health concerns and shame.
JFCS is collecting thick, comfortable socks for daily wear. White is the number one choice among the homeless community. Dress socks are also needed to help employment-seekers dress professionally and feel confident during job interviews.
“Please consider helping JFCS get the Sarasota and Manatee homeless community back on its feet,” said Sheila Birnbaum, a JFCS volunteer and the creator of the Sock It To Us campaign. “Clean, warm socks are priceless to them. It may seem trivial to many people, but socks are the most requested item by our homeless, veterans and children in need. Let’s come together to bring them comfort and dignity as they go to school, seek jobs and housing, and try to improve their lives.”
Community members can help by:
• Donating new socks in a variety of sizes for men, women and children. Socks can be purchased in multi-packs or
• Making an online donation, which will allow JFCS staff to purchase additional socks. Click button and choose “Sock It To Us”
in the drop-down menu.
• Starting a donation drive at their churches, offices, schools, or social clubs.
• Mailing socks directly to our main office: 2688 Fruitville Road, Sarasota, FL 34237. Please mark all deliveries in care of the Outreach Team/Sock It To Us.
• Dropping off donations at our office Monday-Friday, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., through Oct. 14.
• White, cotton crew socks with reinforced toes and heels for men and women
• Black dress socks for men
• Athletic socks for children
Before dropping off collected socks, please separate men’s, women’s, boys’, girls’ and unisex socks into different bags and label each bag with the type and quantity.
For more information or to schedule a delivery, please contact Karen Pharo, Director of Community Outreach, by calling or texting (941) 400-6685 or by sending an email to email@example.com.